paruppu keerai masiyal | dal palak recipe | palak keerai masiyal | spinach dal
Paruppu keerai masiyal | dal palak recipe
Paruppu keerai masiyal | palak keerai masiyal | dal palak recipe | spinach dal recipe | how to make dal palak with detailed stepwise photos.
Dal palak is a lentil and spinach based gravy. It is a protein-rich dish made with boiled yellow lentils, spinach, onion, tomatoes, ginger, garlic and seasoned with Indian spices.
Dal palak is a healthy and nutritious side dish that pairs well with rice, roti, poori, and chapati. Palak indicates spinach in Hindi.
Toor dal is an essential ingredient in Indian cooking. It is a vital source of protein for vegetarians. Toor dal is also called as arhar dal in Hindi, tur dal in Marathi, kandhi Pappu in Telugu, thuvaram paruppu in Tamil, togari bele in Kannada, and thuvara parippa in Malayalam. It is a very popular lentil variety in India. You can also make several recipes using these lentils. I have attached a few dal and spinach recipes for you. Take a look!
Dal palak is super easy to prepare and requires basic ingredients that are already available in your kitchen. It is a vegan recipe and diabetic-friendly too. It is quite light on the stomach and easy to digest. It is a nourishing recipe and a perfect dish for kids and diet watchers. You can also make this recipe with no onion and no garlic as well.
Apart from toor dal, palak dal recipe can be made with moong dal, masoor dal, and channa dal as well. Toor dal is a versatile lentil where many recipes can be prepared.
This dal palak has a creamy texture. It gives a soft and smooth consistency when dal and spinach are cooked together. You can even cook this in an Instant Pot. But, I prefer a pressure cooker for this recipe.
Spinach dal is our family's favorite side dish. I often make this recipe and love to have it with hot steamed basmati rice along with carrot beans stir fry or carrot cabbage stir fry. Also, I love to add a dash of melted ghee on top which makes the entire meal healthy, aromatic, and wholesome.
Check out my other dal recipes which are given below, Dal soup
Also, check out my healthy spinach potato curry recipe
Recipe - Dal Palak | Spinach Dal | Palak Dal.
Serves - 4
Cuisine - Indian.
Region - South Indian.
Course - Main | Side dish.
Prep time - 5 min | Cook time - 25 min | Total time - 30 min.
Diet - Vegetarian & Vegan.
Author - Pavithra.
Dal palak Ingredients:
Toor dal - Half cup
Spinach - 2 cup tightly packed
Red onion - 1 medium
Tomato - 1 medium
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Red chili powder - 1 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Salt - 1 tsp / As per taste.
Water - 100 ml.
Oil - 1 tbsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Red chili - 1 optional
Ginger - 1 tsp
Garlic - 1 tsp
Asafoetida/Hing - A pinch
How to make dal palak?
2. Take a pan and pour a tbsp of oil and keep it on medium heat.
3. Add a tsp of cumin seeds, red chili, hing. Fry for a minute.
4. Then, add chopped onion and crushed ginger & garlic.
5. Add required salt and saute until the onion turns translucent.
6. Now add chopped tomatoes and saute until it turns mushy.
7. Then, add red chili and coriander powder for the spice.
8. Saute and then add chopped spinach.
9. Saute until it reduces in size.
10. Mash dal and add the cooked dal along with dal water.
11. Mix and let it cook for a few minutes.
12. Pour water as per your required consistency.
13. Let it boil for 5 to 10 mins.
14. Switch off the flame once it reaches the semi-thick consistency.
Dal palak/spinach dal is ready to be served with rice and roti.
How to make dal palak with step by step photos?
1. Wash and rinse lentils twice or thrice in water. Then, pressure cook toor dal along with water, a pinch of turmeric, and a drop of oil for 15 mins.
2. Roughly chop the spinach leaves and keep it aside.
3. Take a pan and pour a tbsp of oil and keep it on medium heat.
4. Add a tsp of cumin seeds, red chili, hing. Fry for a minute.
5. Then, add chopped onion and crushed ginger & garlic.
6. Add required salt and saute until the onion turns translucent.
7. Now add chopped tomatoes and saute until it turns mushy.
8. Then, add red chili and coriander powder for the spice.
9. Saute and then add chopped spinach.
10. Saute until it reduces in size.
15. Switch off the flame once it reaches the semi-thick consistency.
16. Dal palak/spinach dal is ready to be served with rice and roti.
Spinach health benefits:
- Spinach is high in fiber.
- It is rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Vitamin K.
- Rich in Iron, manganese, and calcium.
- It reduces blood pressure levels and oxidative stress.
- It strengthens bones.
- It improves digestion.
- High in antioxidants.
- It strengthens the immune system.
- Spinach is a low-calorie vegetable.
- It is rich in vitamins and minerals.
Toor dal health benefits:
- Rich in carbohydrates, folic acid, fiber, Iron.
- Excellent source of protein.
- Low glycemic index.
- It helps with digestion.
- Rich in micronutrients.
- Gives satiating feeling
Spinach dal / Dal palak calories and nutritional facts:
(Calories are an estimation only. Please refer to very well for more detailed calorie charts and nutrition facts, etc).
Do try this dal palak or spinach dal recipe and let me know how it turns up. Express your thoughts in the comment section below, can't wait to hear from you:)
If you try any of my recipes, please mention @paviskitchen and share it on social media using the hashtag #paviskitchen on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook so that I can see your picture.
If you like Pavi's Kitchen recipes, please share them with your friends and family. Also, show your love and support by following me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest. Thank you for viewing this recipe. See you soon with another interesting dish!
Happy cooking and have a great day to you:)