Aloo palak Dry Recipe | Spinach Potato Dry Curry
Aloo Palak Dry Recipe | Spinach Potato Dry Curry
Aloo Palak Dry Recipe | Spinach Potato Dry Curry recipe | Sukhe aloo palak ki subzi.with step by step procedure, photos, health benefits, and calorie chart. Aloo denotes potato, palak means spinach and sukhe mean dry in Hindi.
Aloo palak subzi is a dry curry made from boiled potatoes, palak/spinach, and some spices. It is a healthy and tasty side dish recipe for roti, rice, and poori/puri. This dry version of spinach potato curry is a no onion no garlic recipe. It is super light and quick to make. Palak aloo sabzi is a one-pot recipe that can be prepared in no time. Additionally, leftover curry can be utilized to make aloo palak bread sandwiches and stuffed parathas too. You can also add red chili and coriander powder for the spice. If you like mild spice use a dried red chili. Generally, I don't add green chilies to spinach curries. So feel free to use the spice ingredients as per your family preference.
Further, you can prepare this aloo palak sabzi with sauteed onion and tomatoes as well. It would turn into a semi-dry version that goes well with Indian flatbread like roti, chapati, parathas, and hot steamed basmati rice. Here, I have given a gravy version of aloo palak curry for you. Please check it out Aloo palak subji gravy recipe.
Spinach is a superfood and a low calorie leafy green vegetable. It is loaded with vitamins and minerals which is good for skin, hair, and bone health. Our family loves greens, so I often buy them in bulk. We try to include them thrice a week in salads, dry curries, gravy, keerai poriyal, etc. Poriyal is nothing but dry curry in English and palya in Kannada. I would often make Tamil Nadu style keerai poriyal at home which is my favorite. The poriyal is lightly sauteed with onions and finally topped up with some freshly grated coconut, it tastes so delicious with sambar rice and rasam rice, will soon post that recipe for you.
Recently, I have posted a spinach potato gravy recipe and a Toor dal palak recipe. You can take a look if you want to try those recipes as well. (Pls click the recipe for the URL link).
Recipe - Aloo palak dry | Spinach potato dry curry | Sukhe aloo palak ki sabzi.
Serves - 4
Cuisine - Indian.
Region - North Indian.
Course - Side dish.
Prep time - 5 min | Cook time - 25 min | Total time - 30 min.
Diet - Vegetarian | Vegan.
Author - Pavithra.
Aloo palak dry curry Ingredients:
- Boiled potatoes- 2 big/3 medium/4 small
- Spinach/ Palak - 2 cups tightly packed
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida/Hing - a pinch
- Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
- Green chili/Red chili - 2
- Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp optional
- Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp optional
- Salt - 1 tsp / As per taste
How to make aloo palak dry?
- To start with, dice the potatoes into 1-inch cube size and roughly chop the spinach.
- Pour a tbsp of oil on a pan and heat it on a medium flame.
- Temper cumin seeds, red chili, salt, and add half tsp turmeric powder.
- Add diced potatoes and saute.
- Sprinkle water and let it cook on a medium flame for 10 mins. Cover it with a lid.
- Do not overcook the potato and saute in between.
- Now add the chopped spinach. Mix it well.
- Let the spinach cooks on a medium flame which takes 5 to 7 mins.
- Switch off the flame once it is done.
- Serve it with roti or rice.
- You can try this recipe with sweet potatoes too.
- Instead of dried red chili, you use red chili powder and coriander powder for the spice.
How to make aloo palak dry curry recipe with step by step photos?
2. Pour a tbsp of oil on a pan and heat it on a medium flame.
3. Temper cumin seeds, red chili, salt, and add half tsp turmeric powder.
4. Add diced potatoes and saute for a minute.
5. Sprinkle water and let it cook on a medium flame for 10 mins. Cover it with a lid.
6. Do not overcook the potatoes and saute in between for even cooking.
7. Now add the chopped spinach. Mix it well.
8. Let the spinach cooks on a medium flame which takes 5 to 7 mins.
9. Switch off the flame once it is done.
Spinach potato dry curry | Sukhe aloo palak ki subzi is ready to be served with rice or roti. Enjoy!!!
Spinach health benefits:
- Spinach is high in fiber.
- It is rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Vitamin K.
- Rich in Iron, manganese, and calcium.
- It reduces blood pressure levels and oxidative stress.
- It strengthens bones.
- It improves digestion.
- High in antioxidants.
- It strengthens the immune system.
- Spinach is a low-calorie vegetable.
- It is rich in vitamins and minerals.
Health benefits of white potatoes:
- Potatoes are rich in carbohydrates.
- Potatoes are gluten-free and fat-free.
- It is a great source of protein.
- Rich in vitamin A, B6, C, copper, manganese, and Iron.
- Potatoes are low in sodium.
- It is a good source of fiber.
- It contains potassium which helps to lower high blood pressure.
- Full of Vitamin C which helps to prevent premature aging.
- It helps with digestion.
- Good for the skin.
- Good source of Folate.
- It is high in resistant starch.
(*benefits taken from Google & Wikipedia).
Aloo palak dry curry calories:
(Calories are an estimation only. Please refer to very well for more detailed calorie chart and nutrition facts, etc).
Do try this "aloo palak dry sabji or spinach potato dry curry recipe" and let me know how it turns up. Express your thoughts in the comment section below, can't wait to hear from you:)
If you try any of my recipes, please mention @paviskitchen and share it on social media using hashtag #paviskitchen on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook so that I can see your picture.
If you like Pavi's Kitchen recipes, please share them with your friends and family. Also, show your love and support by following me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest. Thank you for viewing this recipe. See you soon with another interesting dish! Happy cooking and have a great day to you:)